Skip to main content

Baroness Thatcher and Apartheid Regime in South Africa


Margaret Thatcher was United Kingdom’s prime minister from 1979 to 1990. She was the first and only female prime minister in the UK. I have a lot of admiration for her because of what she accomplished during her tenure as prime minister. I am a conservative, so I would describe her and late U.S. President Ronald Reagan as my role models. Some foreign policies of Baroness Thatcher have been reviewed following the announcement of her death, but the one that caught my attention was the apartheid policy. The current U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron who belongs to the conservative party (same as Baroness Thatcher) apologized for her apartheid policies and voiced his disagreement. I am an African, the word apartheid only bring back bad memories of fellow Africans being discriminated against in their own homeland. Anyone who supported such a regime must be racist and doesn’t deserve to be admired or respected by me. But I admire and respect the late Baroness, so I had to find out myself what her true position was on apartheid.
      The claim that Baroness Thatcher supported the apartheid regime isn’t completely true; she made it clear in several speeches that the discrimination policies of apartheid regime should stop. She also voiced her belief that everyone should be treated equal no matter the color of their skin while criticizing the apartheid regime. When Botha, the apartheid South African leader visited her in Chequers, she advised him to change his discrimination policy. Some asked why she received Botha while other world leaders were rejecting him; I don’t think it was a show of support for the regime but her belief that talking to him might help the situation. Let’s not forget, it was the late Baroness who convinced Ronald Reagan to talk to Gorbachev during times when tensions were high between the Soviets and the U.S. She received ANC leaders such as Desmond Tutu and Nelson Mandela after he was freed while she served as prime minister
             The failure to support the enforcement of economic sanctions against the apartheid regime in South Africa has also been raised as evidence of Thatcher’s support for apartheid. I disagree with her on this issue because if Britain had supported the sanctions, apartheid might have ended earlier. But I might also be wrong and she might be right. She was against sanctions because she believed sanctions would only harden the heart of apartheid leaders of South Africa and the people who would suffer most are poor blacks. We have seen many sanctions implemented against countries such as Iran, North Korea, Iraq, Syria and Zimbabwe. How effective have these sanctions being? They did not change the policies of these governments; we could say they have only hardened their hearts. The people who are bearing the brunt of these sanctions are the poor people in these countries. We conclude that Margaret could have been right about her position on economic sanctions. She might have also done it to
         The branding of African national congress (‘ANC’) as a terrorist organization by her administration has been pointed as an evidence of her support for the apartheid regime. The major reason why she branded ANC as a terrorist organization was because they carried out attacks on both military and civilians and their families. Some of ANC’ victims were also blacks. A lot of innocent people suffered during this attacks and this led Thatcher to brand ACN as a terrorist organization. Baroness Thatcher opposed people who killed other innocent people no matter the cause they were fighting for. Her treatment of Northern Ireland and Iran hostage crisis are evidence of hatred of political violence no matter the purpose. And I agreed with her that bloodshed wasn’t the right way, no one has the right to shed innocent blood in the name of liberation. I totally disagree with her decision to brand ANC as a terrorist organization because they were an organization seeking the liberation of the black people in South Africa.
                      Baroness Thatcher wasn't a racist, but a woman who believed that dialogue was the way forward in South Africa. She demanded the release of Mandela and promised she would not visit South Africa unless he was released. In 1989, she paid a six day visit to different countries in Southern Africa but did not visit South Africa because Mandela wasn't released. She also demanded the release of of other 'ANC' leaders such as Walter Sisulu and Oscar Mpetha before any dialogue could take place. Baroness Thatcher was slow to act in South Africa; not because she was racist but because she thought the best approach was dialogue. The end of the apartheid came about through dialogue just like she had proposed. Margaret Thatcher might not have been as aggressive as she should have been with the apartheid regime but it doesnt mean she supported it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things to do before 30

If you know me well, you would know am not a planner. I detest making list because I think life is more adventurous when you don't plan. I have had my own share of adventures but as I turn a year older today, I realize that there are some few adventures have missed. I realize that making a list would help me realize which goals I ha've met and haven't met, and it doesn't remove the adventure from it. Maybe I have old age to thank for that or maybe all those lessons on the importance of planning by friends is finally yielding fruits. This is the list of things I haven't done that I would like to do before 30. Go Bungee jumping Learn to Swim well (Am really ashamed of this one) Take part in triathlon after accomplishing the second Live in a boat house for at least a week Visit Russia Learn to Surf Own a Mustang convertible or Jeep Cherokee Hike the smoky mountain trail Go to a Brad Paisley/ George Strait/ Kenny Chesney Concert or all three would be awesome.

Strength in forgiveness

Strength in forgiveness         It is Halloween and it’s time for everyone to dress up. My favorite costume would be a superhero costume. I am a big comic geek and my favorite superhero is superman. Superman is my favorite hero because he has lots of powers such as flying, shooting fire from his eyes, super-speed, super-hearing, huge lung capacity and super strength. I am yet to find any superhero or villain who could match superman's strength except doomsday. But as much as I respect Superman's character I always sometimes view him as weak. I always thought he was weak because he never liked to use his power to hurt people even they deserve it, even if they are a threat to his life. I just couldn't understand how someone with so much power seems so linient. In our culture, a man's strength seems to be judged based on how many of his enemies he could defeat. I have come to realize how backward we have it.         A quote from one of my favorite movies "Schindler

Its All about Him: First chapter

1: The wind is coming But the boat was already a considerable distance from land buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.                                                                              Matthew 14:24 (NIV) In Matthew 14:24, the disciples were in the boat going to the other side; and their boat was buffeted by the waves.   There were twelve disciples and some few other people in the boat so it means the boat was big. It is only a strong wind that can cause such a boat to buffet because buffet means to be shaken violently. And I am sure that the people in the boat were concerned about the wind and hoping it would go away, but it did not. The strong wind shaking the boat must have been a problem for the disciples, not knowing whether the boat would capsize or not.  One of my favorite quotes is “The only man who has no trouble left in his life is a dead one.” It’s a quote that describes the fact that every human being is bound to face some form of adversary or