Skip to main content

Strength in forgiveness

Strength in forgiveness
        It is Halloween and it’s time for everyone to dress up. My favorite costume would be a superhero costume. I am a big comic geek and my favorite superhero is superman. Superman is my favorite hero because he has lots of powers such as flying, shooting fire from his eyes, super-speed, super-hearing, huge lung capacity and super strength. I am yet to find any superhero or villain who could match superman's strength except doomsday. But as much as I respect Superman's character I always sometimes view him as weak. I always thought he was weak because he never liked to use his power to hurt people even they deserve it, even if they are a threat to his life. I just couldn't understand how someone with so much power seems so linient. In our culture, a man's strength seems to be judged based on how many of his enemies he could defeat. I have come to realize how backward we have it.
        A quote from one of my favorite movies "Schindler's list" says "power is when we have every justification to kill, and we don't". Oskar Schindler went to tell a story of a man who was caught stealing and was taken to the emperor. The man knew he was going to die so he begged the emperor for mercy, and the emperor pardoned him. He concluded by saying "that's power." Schindler was trying to tell the German officer that power is not killing people because you can but pardoning them when you could kill them.  Our true strength doesn't lie in punishing people who have hurt us when we get a chance to them, but forgiving them when we have a chance to hurt them. This is because it is easy to seek revenge when we get a chance to hurt someone that has hurt us, anyone can be vengeful. But it takes a lot of heart, courage and character to forgive people when you have a chance to get even.
       It is hard to forgive someone who has hurt you especially if they hurt you real bad. When someone hurts you, you seek revenge because you want them to feel the pain you felt. But that never solves anything, it would only lead to more pain for someone else. It wouldn't undo what has already happened and might lead to causing you more pain in the future.
        Superman is still my favorite superhero because his true strength doesn't lie in all those amazing powers but in his ability to give people second chance even to people who don't seem to deserve. Let us not forget our true strength lies in our ability to forgive, not in our ability to be vengeful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things to do before 30

If you know me well, you would know am not a planner. I detest making list because I think life is more adventurous when you don't plan. I have had my own share of adventures but as I turn a year older today, I realize that there are some few adventures have missed. I realize that making a list would help me realize which goals I ha've met and haven't met, and it doesn't remove the adventure from it. Maybe I have old age to thank for that or maybe all those lessons on the importance of planning by friends is finally yielding fruits. This is the list of things I haven't done that I would like to do before 30. Go Bungee jumping Learn to Swim well (Am really ashamed of this one) Take part in triathlon after accomplishing the second Live in a boat house for at least a week Visit Russia Learn to Surf Own a Mustang convertible or Jeep Cherokee Hike the smoky mountain trail Go to a Brad Paisley/ George Strait/ Kenny Chesney Concert or all three would be awesome.

Its All about Him: First chapter

1: The wind is coming But the boat was already a considerable distance from land buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.                                                                              Matthew 14:24 (NIV) In Matthew 14:24, the disciples were in the boat going to the other side; and their boat was buffeted by the waves.   There were twelve disciples and some few other people in the boat so it means the boat was big. It is only a strong wind that can cause such a boat to buffet because buffet means to be shaken violently. And I am sure that the people in the boat were concerned about the wind and hoping it would go away, but it did not. The strong wind shaking the boat must have been a problem for the disciples, not knowing whether the boat would capsize or not.  One of my favorite quotes is “The only man who has no trouble left in his life is a dead one.” It’s a quote that describes the fact that every human being is bound to face some form of adversary or

Is Religion to blame?

I was having a discussion with an atheist friend of mine on religion about a week ago. A point that he made that stuck to me most was when he asked. "isn't it ironic that religion seems to be behind every major conflict?" It wasn't the first time I had heard such a statement, but the sad part is it seems partly true on the surface. From the crusaders, Spanish inquisition, Schmaldalic wars and thirty years war in the past to present day conflict such as Israel-Palestine conflict, religious riot in Nigeria, Sunni-Shiite conflict in Iraq, 9/11, Sudan, Uganda and other conflicts not mentioned here. A look at the Qur'an and the Bible I grew up as Muslim but am now a born again christian, so I have some idea about what each religion says. Muslims have used the word Jihad to justify most of the conflict they have been involved in. Most people both Muslims and Christians associate the word Jihad with the word Holy War. Christians have also used the bible to justify ac